Reserving your spot for 9:00 am Sunday worship services
We are offering only one in-person worship service on Sunday Mornings at 9:00 am. If you wish to attend a Sunday service we ask that you make a reservation. To do so you may call the church office starting 9:00 am Thursday morning. After office hours on Thursday, you may reserve by emailing the office or filling out the reservation form below. Do not, however, assume you have a reserved spot until we contact you. Please read the protocol below and if you are unable to abide by any of the requirements, we ask that you remain home and worship with us online.
Protocol for Resuming Services
Bishop Klusmeyer has established rules and regulations for churches to resume services. This document explains how the vestry of Zion Episcopal Church plans to resume communal worship safely. While we all want to be together, our highest priority has to be the health and safety of all our parishioners. We look forward to a time when we can all resume worship together – this document represents our first step.
Phase I – Outdoor Worship
The CDC has been very clear that outside is safer for groups than inside. Therefore, our first attempt to come together will consist of a service celebrated on the circle in front of the church building. If you are uncomfortable with worshipping outdoors, please continue to worship with us online until we can return indoors and keep everyone safe. The following guidelines will be followed to ensure the safety of everyone who attends worship.
Worship set up
A temporary altar will be established on the steps of the church building and participants will sit in the surrounding lawn. A sound system will be used to allow everyone to hear the priest and lay readers. Service bulletins will provide all the liturgy and responses as normal and will be available to pick up on a table near the porch. The alms basin will be left there too for your offering. Bulletins can be taken home or recycled in the box next to the alms basin.
Before the service, the sidewalk outside the church fence will be marked for social distancing. We will mark blocks 10 ft apart so people can stand with their families while waiting to enter the yard. An usher will be available to help families make sure they stay apart. Each family will be able to pick up bulletins on the way in and recycle them on the way out. Playground equipment will either be removed or blocked off so it cannot be used at this time.
We will ask parishioners planning to attend to RSVP for planning purposes. People may call the church office on Thursday before the service. People will not be turned away – the RSVPs will help us plan.
1. If you are sick or at higher risk due to age or underlying health concerns, please stay home. Worship with us online.
2. If you have recently traveled to a place with an increased risk of infection, please stay home. Worship with us online.
3. Masks must be worn at all times (only exception – children under age 2). If you are not comfortable wearing a mask or unable to wear one, please stay home. Worship with us online.
4. Families may bring lawn chairs or blankets and sit together (no chairs will be provided). Please continue to use social distancing practices (6 feet away) with non-family members. Ushers will be present to help seat groups at appropriate distances from each other.
5. Physical greetings may not occur. Please remain at least 6 ft away from non-relatives. However, verbal greetings and interactions are encouraged!
6. There will be no physical passing of the peace. Waves and greetings are encouraged.
7. During the service, there will still be no congregational singing (singing has been noted by the CDC to be of particular concern for the spreading of the virus). A soloist may sing wearing a mask.
8. The gate will be tied open to avoid the necessity of physical contact.
9. The building will not be available at this time – this includes restrooms.
10. Hand sanitizer will be available at several stations around the churchyard. Social distancing will occur around these stations.
11. At the end of the service, family units will be dismissed individually to ensure that social distancing can occur.
12. If children are attending, please make sure they are aware of social distancing practices and that they understand the protocols for worship.
13. Playground equipment shall not be used at this time. If you have children with you, please make sure they understand this.
14. Attendance will be documented with a camera. If someone attending worship develops symptoms or tests positive in the week following the service, other attendees will be notified.